Hair Loss Baldness
Posted by 365Doctor on January 17th, 2017 | Comments
Baldness means partial or complete loss of hair. It is a wider aspect of hair thinning. It is normal to lose some hair daily but baldness includes excessive loss of hair in men and women which is also known as androgenic alopecia. Some people also have patchy hair loss that is hail loss from some areas of the scalp, it is also known asalopeciaareata. Alopecia universalis involves the loss of hair from both the head and the body. It can lead to serious of psychological problems like stress, loss of confidence, etc..
• Hair on the pillow:You can see lot of hair on your pillow when you get up in the morning; it is probably a sign of baldness.
• Excessive shedding of hair while brushing your hair:Whenever you comb or brush your hair you may lose a lot of strands of hair. People lose about 100 150 strands per day which is normal but losing more than that can be symptom of baldness.
• Hair on your body:Excessive hair on the body in men is an indication that hair thinning of the head might occur. If a man has complete chest hair, he is more likely to become bald, if he has total body hair it increases the chances.
• In women also excessive body hair or a sudden appearance of body hair may indicate the cause of hair loss.
• Improper nutrition: Less intake of iron, minerals and proteins in your diet can lead to loss of hair. Crash diets, illness or poor nutrition can cause you to experience Baldness. One should drink lots of water and take proper meals to maintain healthy and shiny hair
• Medicines: Some medicines also cause loss of hair. Certain medicine has side effects which can lead to excessive shedding of hair. Birth control pills and medicines for stress, blood pressure, blood thinners and heart diseases have side effects.
• Stress and tension: There are lots of tensions to an individual which can cause a lot of health problems to him. Taking a lot of stress or tension regarding any issue or about your daily work can result in loss of hair.
• Some diseases: few of the diseases like Diabetes or lupus can cause loss of hair.
• Natural hormonal changes: hormonal changes in women like menopause, discontinuing pregnancy controlling pills, child birth are some of the reasons for temporary hair loss in women.
• Medical treatments: treatments of diseases especially cancer can result into excessive hair shedding. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy can be a major reason foralopecia.
• Pregnancy: after 3 to 4 months of pregnancy the mother can lose hair or even at the time of the child birth. These are temporary.
• Poor hair care: not taking proper care of your hair can also lead to thinning of hair. Oiling of hair using good shampoo and not using excess of products can help in protection of hair.
• Hair styles: using different hairstyles such as pigtails or cornrows or use of tight hair rollers can pull your hair leading to hair loss.
• Scalp infections: several scalp infections like fungal infections such as ringworm can invade the hair from the scalp.
• Age: As you grow older, y
Generally the hair stylists notice the thinning of hair and recommend suitable solutions. The doctor will be able to notice by appearance if the person is suffering from hair loss. The doctor may ask for complete medical history, genetic history and take a physical examination. He may examine the quality of the hair around, ask for recent illness, medications or treatment taken, menstrual cycle and hair products you use..
Generally the hair stylists notice the thinning of hair and recommend suitable solutions. The doctor will be able to notice by appearance if the person is suffering from hair loss. The doctor may ask for complete medical history, genetic history and take a physical examination. He may examine the quality of the hair around, ask for recent illness, medications or treatment taken, menstrual cycle and hair products you use.
There is no cure for baldness where partial or total though hair thinning can be cured according to the type of the hair loss and its causes.
• If the hair loss is due to some medications or drugs the doctor may prescribe some other medicine.
• Recognizing and treating the scalp infection can also reduce hair fall.
• In case of hormonal imbalance, medication for that can be given to stop hair loss.
Other treatments may include:
• Hair transplantation and replacement
• Laser treatment
• Different hairstyles or wigs and hairpieces.
Various methods can be used to control shedding of hair and minimizing baldness. Some alternatives include:
• Proper nutritional diet
• Combing your hair regularly
• Using hair fall control shampoo
• Various home remedies like curd, egg and aloe Vera
• Oil massage and aromatherapy.
There are certain medicines available which can reduce hair fall or prevent hair thinning. Some of the drugs are not recommended for women and should be taken by only men:
• Minoxidil (Rogaine)
• Finasteride (Propecia)
• Injections of Corticosteroids
• Anthralin (Dritho-Scalp).
Baldness is not a life taking or dangerous disease but it can cause a lot of psychological effects on the individual. Hair is considered an important part of individual’s personality. Thus loss of hair can make the person less confident about his appearance. This can even lead to stress and depression..
There are various preventive measures that can be taken to control hair fall. These are:
• Eating healthy food
• Minimal use of hair styling products
• Don’t tie your hair too tight or pull it harder.
• Drink lots of water
• Don’t take too much stress
• Take proper care of your hair.